See Frequently Asked Questions about this page.
This page can be used to add a need to your database.
Quick Need Adder vs. Advanced Need Adder
The Quick-Add a Need < page
(the "Quick Need Adder")
provides a different way to add a need.
You can easily switch between these two pages
by pressing the button at the top of each page.
See How To... Add a Need
for a comparison of these two pages and
other ways to add needs.
Continuing on with how to use this page:
Step 1: Select a folder or standard need
- The upper section allows you to find a standard need (common to all MakeLifeEasy users)
as the basis for adding a new need to your database.
It shows the standard needs alongside your existing needs.
This allows you to create your need tree
using standard needs if you desire, to keep your needs organized consistently, and to avoid duplicating needs.
- Check "Standard needs" to view standard needs and "My needs" to view your existing needs.
- Select a top folder and press "Go" to show all subfolders and needs in that top folder, OR
- Enter keyword(s) and press "Go" to find all needs with the keyword(s) entered.
- View the results in the list.
Needs with asterisks (*) are your existing needs.
When you select a folder or need in the list,
that folder or need data is copied into the
"Step 2" section.
You can accept the data as-is or modify it to suit your needs.
- (Optional) You can also double-click on the list of folders to view either the
Need Properties or the Need Folder Properties page.
This allows you to see details for a folder or need to see if it's the one you want to use.
Step 2: Add the need to your list
- When adding a new need, you
enter the folder (and optional subfolder) name(s)
and the need name in the fields provided.
NOTE: You can add more names onto the end of the need name, separated with " >> "s.
The "upper" names (to the left) will become subfolders,
and the rightmost name (after the last " >> ") will be the need name.
You can automatically load these fields by scrolling through the needs list.
Try to use standard needs as much as practical.
See need consistency.
For new need names, see How To... Name a Need.
- (Optional) You can also add a description to the need.
- Enter inventory management data.
See the Inventory Management Data Panel.
The inventory management data provided here by default is
inherited from the folder or need selected above.
You can edit it if you like.
You can use this panel to provide data about how assets
acquired to cover this need will be managed in inventory.
That is, this need's inventory management data
will be inherited by its assets.
- (Optional) You can also click on "More properties..." to edit
more need data.
When you're finished, press "OK: Save" to save the data or
"Cancel" to close the page without saving.